Born: 22 October 1974
- 2015–present: Lecturer, Department of History, Maynooth University
- 2009–2015: Senior Editor, Four Courts Press, Dublin
- 2003–2009: Senior Research Archaeologist, The Discovery Programme, Dublin
- 2008–2009: Lecturer, School of Archaeology, University College Dublin
- 2006–2007: Temporary Lecturer, Department of Archaeology, National University of Ireland, Galway
- 2003: Visiting Professor, St Michael’s College, University of Toronto, Canada
- 1998–2003: Occasional Lecturer, Department of History, Maynooth University
- 1996–1997: Temporary Lecturer, Université de Paris–IV (La Sorbonne), France
- 1999–2002: PhD, Maynooth University, ‘The archaeology and history of medieval Trim, Co. Meath’
- 1998–1999: MA Mode I programme, Maynooth University
- 1992–1996: BA International, University College Dublin
- 1994–1995: L’Université de Lumière, Lyon II, France (part of BA International)
- 1992: Irish Leaving Certificate
Membership of professional associations, institutions, committees etc.
- Member of the Commission for the History of Towns
- Editorial Board Member of the Irish Historic Towns Atlas
- Editorial Board Member of Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy
- Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London
- Member of Organising Committee of Irish Conference of Medievalists (ICM), 2016 & 2017
- Member of the Institute of Archaeologists of Ireland
- Member of the American Society of Irish Medieval Studies
- Member of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland
- Member of the Academic Committee of the Irish Archaeological Field School
- Member of the Forum for Medieval and Renaissance Studies in Ireland
- Member of the Meath Archaeological and Historical Society
- Previously: Board Member of the European Association of Archaeologists; Council Member of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland; reviews editor of Eolas: the Journal of the American Society for Irish Medieval Studies; Editorial Committee Member of the Journal of Irish Archaeology; Editor of TEA: The European Archaeologist (online newsletter)
Recently Published Titles:
(ed. with John Bradley and Cóilín Ó Drisceoil), William Marshal and Ireland. Four Courts Press, Dublin. 368pp.
(ed. with Christiaan Corlett), The church in early medieval Ireland. Wordwell, Dublin. 300pp.
‘French connections in late medieval Ireland: the case of Geoffrey de Geneville (c.1226–1314)’ in Explorations in Renaissance Culture 39.2 (winter 2013), 53–75.
(with Margaret Murphy), ‘Agriculture in the Tara/Skreen region, c.AD1170–1660’ in Muiris O’Sullivan, Chris Scarre and Maureen Doyle (eds), Tara: from the past to the future. Towards a new research agenda. Wordwell, Dublin, pp 391–400.
(ed. with Christiaan Corlett), Life and death in Iron Age Ireland. Wordwell, Bray. 330pp.
(ed. with Thomas Herron), Dublin and the Pale in the Renaissance, c.1540–1660. Four Courts Press, Dublin. 448pp.
‘The FitzGeralds, Florence, St Fiachra and a few fragments’ in Potterton and Herron (eds), Dublin and the Pale in the Renaissance, c.1540–1660, pp 19–47.
(ed. with Christiaan Corlett), Settlement in early medieval Ireland. Wordwell, Bray. 348pp.
(with Margaret Murphy), The Dublin region in the Middle Ages: settlement, land-use and economy. Four Courts Press, Dublin. 600pp.
(ed. with Christiaan Corlett), Death and burial in early medieval Ireland. Wordwell, Bray. 316pp.
‘Trim in the Middle Ages: a market town on the River Boyne’. Archaeology Ireland Heritage Guide 47.
(ed. with Matthew Seaver), Uncovering medieval Trim: recent archaeological excavations in and around Trim, Co. Meath. Four Courts Press, Dublin. 384pp.
‘Understanding Trim through the ages’ in Potterton and Seaver (eds), Uncovering medieval Trim, pp 25–56.
(ed. with Christiaan Corlett), Rural settlement in medieval Ireland. Wordwell, Bray. 200pp.
Review of An archaeology of southwest Ireland (by Colin Breen) in Landscape History 30 (2008–9), 105.
(contr.), Brú na Bóinne World Heritage Site: research framework. The Heritage Council, Kilkenny, 2009.
(with Margaret Murphy), ‘Mapping a medieval landscape? The Civil Survey and land-use in medieval Dublin’ in John Bradley, Alan Fletcher and Anngret Simms (eds), Dublin in the medieval world: studies in honour of Howard B. Clarke. Four Courts Press, Dublin, pp 316–44.
Review of Irish walled towns (by John Givens) in Irish Arts Review 25:3 (autumn 2008), 144–5.
(ed. with Thomas Herron), Ireland in the Renaissance, c.1540–1660. Four Courts Press, Dublin. 384pp.
Review of Cambridge and its economic region, 1450–1560 (by John S. Lee) in The Journal of Economic History 66:3 (September 2006), 829–30.
Review article on Trim: Irish Historic Towns Atlas, no. 14 (by Mark Hennessy) in Ríocht na Midhe: records of Meath Archaeological and Historical Society 17, 332–7.
Medieval Trim: history and archaeology. Four Courts Press, Dublin. 464pp.
(with Margaret Murphy), ‘Investigating living standards in the medieval Dublin region’ in Seán Duffy (ed.), Medieval Dublin VI: proceedings of the Friends of Medieval Dublin Symposium, 2004. Four Courts Press, Dublin, pp 224–56.
(with Margaret Murphy), ‘Feeding Dublin: investigating the hinterland of Dublin in the medieval period’ in Juanita Browne (ed.), Heritage Outlook. Kilkenny, winter 2005/spring 2006, p. 13.
TEA: The European Archaeologist. The newsletter of the European Association of Archaeologists. Editor, Issue 23: Summer 2005 (June 2005); 24: Winter 2005–6 (November 2005); 25: Summer 2006 (June 2006); 26: Winter 2006–7 (November 2006); 27: Summer 2007 (June 2007); 28: Winter 2007–8 (November 2007); 29: Summer 2008 (June 2008); 30: Winter 2008–9 (November 2008); 31: Summer 2009 (June 2009); 32: Winter 2009–10 (November 2009).
‘The lordship of Meath and the liberty of Trim, Ireland, 1172–1425’ in Guido Helmig, Barbara Scholkmann and Matthias Untermann (eds), Medieval Europe: centre, region, periphery. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference of Medieval and Later Archaeology, Basel 2002 (3 vols). Hertingen, i, pp 533–7.
Reviews of Kilkenny: Irish Historic Town Atlas, no. 10 (by John Bradley) and Discover Kilkenny (by John Bradley) in Irish Arts Review Yearbook 2002 (Dublin), 192–3.
Annual directory of information on archaeology in the Irish parliament (Oireachtas Éireann) [1997–2003] in British and Irish Archaeological Bibliography, 2:1 (April 1998), 218–21 (with John Bradley), 3:1 (April 1999), 225–9; 4:1 (April 2000), 224–30; 5:1 (April 2001), 208–15; 6:1 (April 2002), 203–10; 7:1 (April 2003), 227–31; 8:1 (April 2004).